The Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu announced a total lockdown in five areas across the state with a view to curb the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the number of people on the streets. As a result, areas in and around Chennai will see a blanket ban on many services and activities starting 6 am on Sunday, April 26th and continuing till 9 pm on Wednesday, April 29th.
What are the areas under total lockdown?
- Entire area under the limits of the Greater Chennai Corporation
The total lockdown has been extended to areas bordering Chennai in three other districts, namely, Chengalpet, Thiruvallur and Kancheepuram.
The lockdown is applicable to the following parts of Chengalpet district
- Chitlapakkam, Tambaram, Pozhichaloor, Pallavaram, Kovilambakkam, Pammal, Anakaputhoor, Perumbakkam, Nanmangalam, Ottiyampakkam, Peerkkankaranai, Perungalathur, Madambakkam, Thiruneermalai, Madurapakkam,Sembakkam, Medavakkam, Vengaivasal, Moovarampattu, Tirusulam, Agaramthen, Kabul Bazaar, Thiruvancheri, Mudichoor, Kanathoor, Reddykuppam, Muttukadu and the parts that fall under the jurisdiction of Chennai Police in Chengalpet district.
The lockdown is applicable to the following parts of Kancheepuram district
- Mankaadu, Kundrathoor, Poonthandalam, Iyyappanthangal, Gerugambakkam, Thandalam, Tarapakkam, Irandam Kattalai, Moulivakkam, Thirumudivakkam, Kolapakkam, Kovoor, Nandambakkam, Sirukalathoor, Bharaniputhoor, Periyapaniseri, Kollacheri, Kolumanivakkam, Sikkarayapuram, Malayambakkam, and the parts that fall under the jurisdiction of Chennai Police in Kancheepuram district.
The lockdown is applicable to the following parts of Thiruvallur district
- Minjur, Cholavaram, Villivakkam, Veechoor, Padianalloor, Nalloor, Alamadhi, Puzhal, Avadi, Ponneri, Poonamallee, Naravarikuppam, Thirumazhisai, Thiruninravoor, Kumbanur, Ankaadu, Vellivayal and Perungavoor.
What are the services that will be allowed to function?
- Hospitals, diagnostic laboratories, medical shops, ambulance and funeral services will be functional
- State government departments including the Secretariat, Revenue, Disaster Management, Health and Family Welfare, Electricity, Aavin, Water Supply and local bodies will work through the total lockdown
- ATMs will be operational
- Central government offices and banks will operate with 33 % employee strength
- Ration shops (PDS shops), Warehouses of Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies Department and Food Corporation of India will remain functional
- Petrol bunks will be open from 8 am to 12 pm
- Milk vending, cooking gas cylinder distribution and distribution of drinking water will continue through the total lockdown
- All Amma canteens will continue to offer three meals free of cost
- Restaurants will be allowed to supply food only through home delivery. Takeaway by customers is prohibited.
- The kitchens set up by the government and local body to provide food as part of COVID-19 relief will be allowed to function.
- Those aiding the elderly, persons with disabilities and the destitute will be allowed to work
- Organisations working with the poor and needy which have the requisite permissions will continue to function.
- Wholesale markets for vegetables, such as Koyambedu will be allowed to function keeping in place the social distancing norms. Grocery stores will remain shut during the total lockdown.
- Media houses will be functional
Can I buy groceries and essentials during the lockdown?
Medical shops will be open during the total lockdown.
While the initial order by the Chief Minister stated that vegetables and fruits will only be sold through pushcarts and mobile vending vehicles authorised by the local body, a release by the Chennai Corporation states that standalone vegetable shops will be allowed to function during the total lockdown. Grocery stores that also sell vegetables cannot open shop during this period.
Can I travel using an emergency pass during the total lockdown?
Travel will be permitted only for funerals and medical procedures that have been previously scheduled. Permission for the same must be obtained only through online passes. Travel for any other reason will not be permitted.
Can I commute using my personal vehicle during the total lockdown?
Other than those engaged in essential services that have been granted permission to function, all others are advised to remain indoors during the total lockdown period. The vehicles of anyone found violating the rules during the lockdown will be seized by the police. Strict action will be taken against the violators.