Once a village on the outskirts of Chennai, Maduravoyal is now at the centre of attention of political leaders, and clearly on the path to greater commercial development. Yet several infrastructural gaps and project delays bother resident voters, who hope that the new elected government will be able to resolve some of these.
Maduravoyal assembly constituency consists of Ayapakkam, Nolambur, Karambakkam, Vanagaram, Ramapuram, Valasaravakkam, Porur, Nerkundram and a few wards of Mogappair and Ambattur. With the country’s largest mofussil bus terminus (at Koyambedu), a large freshwater resource (Porur lake) and an industrial estate that is almost an entire locality in itself (Ambattur), the entire region is considered to hold great potential for industrial and real estate growth.
A foundation stone was laid in November 2009 by the then PM, Dr. Manmohan Singh for construction of the longest elevated corridor project of the country, spanning a total length of 19 kilometres from Chennai port to Maduravoyal. In recent developments, the city’s metro rail headquarters have been established in this constituency for the elevated Green and Inter Corridor lines at Koyambedu station.
Students, daily wagers and agricultural labourers comprise a large section of the populace here. Also, with three notable shopping plazas and giant technology hubs within close reach, business people as well as employees of the IT sector too make up a part of the constituents.
Voter base (2016)
- Total number of voters: 247873 (excluding postal votes)
- Male Voters: 129033
- Female voters: 118835
- Third gender: 5
- Polling percentage: 61.84%
2016 election results
|Party||Candidate||Votes acquired||Percentage of votes polled|
(as per ECI website)
|CPI(M)||G. Beem Rao||19,612||7.89|
|PMK||Srinivasan N V||17,328||6.97|
|NOTA||None of the above (NOTA)||6,655||2.68|
- Name: P Benjamin (AIADMK). P Benjamin is also the Minister for rural industries in Tamil Nadu.
- Party: AIADMK
- Age: 46
- Name Enrolled as Voter in: Mathuravoil (Tamil Nadu) constituency , at Serial no 307 in Part no 45
- Contact Number: 9884995440
- No criminal cases
- Promises made: Not available
In the news
Maduravoyal MLA P Benjamin was recently quotes in a news report, where he said that the constituency will be benefiting from a slew of developmental projects. “Projects worth Rs 1000 crore have been executed through the Greater Chennai Corporation,” he said.
Know your candidates this time
|S. No||Name||Party||Age||Education/Occupation||Criminal Cases|
|1||Ganapathy K||DMK||61||8th standard/ Real estate agent||None|
|2||Benjamin P||AIADMK||51||BA /Agricultarist||None|
|3||Padmapriya S||Makkal Needhi Maiam||25||M.Sc/Businesswoman||None|
|4||Shanmugam K||Tamil Nadu Illangyar Katchi||34||Bcom/ Businessman||None|
|5||Priya K||Independent||41||Class ten/ housewife||None|
|6||Arunkumar A||Independent||39||B.Sc LLB/ Lawyer||None|
|7||Abarajithan R||Independent||53||MA BL/ Lawyer||None|
|8||Amalraj S||Independent||38||Class nine / Business||None|
|9||Ravi C V||Independent||43||DEEE/Bank employee||None|
|10||Nevis Stella Mary B||Anaithu Makkal Arasiyal Katchi||37||M.Sc/ Beautician||None|
|11||Lavanya P||Nationalist Congress Party||34||PGDCA/ homemaker||None|
|12||Benjamin Mosses S||Independent||33||M.Sc/ Salaried employee||None|
|13||Sumitra R||Bahujan Dravida Party||41||12th class/ Typist||None|
|14||Ganapathy R||Independent||43||5th standard/ Salaried employee||None|
|15||Murugan D||Independent||46||8th standard/ Driver||None|
|16||Lucky Murugan E||AMMK||41||B.Sc/ Businessman||None|
|17||Selvakumar V||Independent||47||9th standard/ Driver||None|
|18||Shanthakumar Y||Bahujan Samaj party||36||10th standard/ Business||None|
|19||Ganeshkumar G||Naam Tamilar Katchi||35||MTech / civil engineer||None|
|20||Muthuraman S||Anna MGR Dravida Makkal Kazhagam||52||Nil/labourer||None|
The first image that flashes across the minds of residents or regular commuters, when they hear the name Maduravoyal, is a series of stout pillars at intervals, over a stretch of almost 3 kilometres on Poonamallee High Road for the Maduravoyal – Chennai Port elevated expressway, which has been a long time in the making and is expected to be completed by 2024.
Less frequently mentioned but persistent problems are potholed roads and water stagnation, resulting in hygiene issues with many residents falling sick during the monsoons.
A few other key issues within the constituency that need mention are:
- Despite the functional flyover at Porur junction, which offers connectivity to neighbourhood areas, the traffic here could still get jammed for hours, especially during peak hours, causing great inconvenience. “Thanks to the IT corridor and metro rail works, it is one of the most congested roads of the city. There is a need to take strict measures to regulate vehicular movement,” said S J Janardhan, President of Porur People RWA .
- The sewage network in Karambakkam lies unfinished for a few years now, alongside incomplete drainage work, both of which need to be addressed.
- Replacement of causeways with bridges across the Cooum River in Porur is much needed, primarily to prevent the dumping and release of sewage by tankers.
- There is a demand to desilt and restore Porur lake and strengthen of bunds, but these are yet to come under the spotlight.
- Valsaravakkam residents are irked about scams in ration shops. They have often been charged for the rations they did not buy. “Using the database of the cardholders, shopkeepers created fake cards years ago. Just the number on the smart card was enough to make the counterfeit card,” Senthil Murugan, a Valasaravakkam resident said, adding that the MLA should look into this issue deeply.
- With works going on between Golden George Salai and Madha Kovil to connect a canal of Mogappair estate with Nolambur canal, the junction, with half-constructed roads, has become an accident prone zone. The road, only enough to accommodate two wheelers, is now also used by heavy vehicles. “Overspeeding by motorists is common, causing many accidents,” a florist said. “During peak hours, the stretch is jam-packed with vehicles, leaving no space for pedestrians,” said another shopkeeper.
- Constituency round-up: Candidates in Tambaram and what voters want them to address
- Constituency round-up: Anna Nagar, seat of TN’s richest MLA