A two-time Lok Sabha MP representing Thiruvallur constituency, P Venugopal has been part of the 15th and 16th Lok Sabha. In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Venugopal (AIADMK) defeated Ravi Kumar (VCK) by 3,23,430 votes.
The constituency, with 17,02,833 voters, had 73.67 percent voter turnout in the 2014 elections, of which Venugopal attained 50.01 percent votes. P Venugopal has won the seat twice since the creation of the Thiruvallur constituency since the delimitation exercise in 2008.
P Venugopal is seeking re-election to the 17th Lok Sabha as part of the grand alliance of AIADMK with BJP among other parties in the state.
Name: P Venugopal
Age: 66 years
Address: 4/55, Thiruvalluvar, Street, G.K.M. Colony, Agaram, Chennai-82
Name enrolled as voter in: Kolathur (Tamil Nadu) constituency , at Serial no 198 in Part no 192
Term: 2014 – 2019
Contact Number: 9444011634
Educational qualifications: M.B.B.S. from Stanley Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
No. of Criminal Cases: None
Assets & Liabilities (2014 & 2019)
All amounts in INR. Source: Election Commission of India & myneta.info
- Member, Business Advisory Committee
- Member, Committee on the Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
- Chairperson, Standing Committee on Rural Development
- Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- Member, Panel of Chairpersons, Lok Sabha
- Leader, AIADMK Parliamentary Party
- Member, Public Accounts Committee
- Member, General Purposes Committee
- Member, Joint Committee on the Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws and Miscellaneous Provision (Amendment) Bill, 2016
- Member, Sub-Committee-VII (PPP Project) of Public Accounts Committee (2016-17)
Source: Lok Sabha
P Venugopal has had above average performance in terms of attendance, debates and questions raised in parliament. He attained 100 percent attendance in eight monsoon, winter and budget sessions during his five-year-tenure. His overall attendance during the tenure stands at 86 percent, which is above the national average of 80 percent.
|MP||Attendance||No of Debates||No of questions asked||Private Member’s Bill|
|State (TN) average||78%||46.6||453||0|
Source: PRS Legislative Research
P Venugopal has raised his voice on various issues during parliamentary debates. He has engaged in debates demanding better conditions for scheduled caste, scheduled tribe and other minorities in the country. He has come out in support of the Women’s Reservation Bill too.
Some of the key debates that have seen his participation are as follows:
- Request to the government to pass the Women’s Reservation Bill
- Seeking withdrawal of permission granted by the Central Water Commission (CWC) to Cauvery Neeravari Nigam Ltd to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) on Mekedatu project
- Need to provide financial assistance to Tamil Nadu, affected by cyclone Ockhi
- Regarding the killing of fisherman by Sri Lankan Navy off the coast of Tamil Nadu
- Regarding abolishing the common entrance test for medical admissions in Tamil Nadu
A full list of debates that the MP has participated in is available here.
P Venugopal did not introduce any private member bill during his tenure as an MP.
MP in news
P Venugopal was one of the two AIADMK MPs who were strongly critical of the Centre’s policies when the BJP-led NDA-government faced its first motion of no confidence in the Lok Sabha in July 2018. From the unfair treatment meted to Tamil Nadu by successive Finance Commissions to the scrapping of the UGC and concerns over the new GST regime, the MP slammed various policies of the state. Ironically, however, AIADMK voted against the no-confidence motion.
While the MP has been a voice for the concerns of the state and the marginalised in Parliament, the constituents demand better facilities on the ground. The Thiuruvallur residents have called for a bypass road to ease congestion and better train connectivity.
The MP has also been featured in the press for an increase in assets by 1281% between his first and second terms representing Thiruvallur.
Out of Rs 25 crores allocated to Chennai South constituency, P Venugopal has completed 174 works which cost Rs 6,82,16,760. The focus of his MPLAD fund spending has been in the fields of education, construction of bus shelter, building of toilets, improvement of roads, improving hospital infrastructure and drainage and sanitation. He has recommended 55 works worth around Rs 3 crores that is yet to be processed by various government departments.
|Recommended amount||Rs 2,77,97,600|
|Sanctioned amount||Rs 4,66,88,000|
|Utilised amount||Rs 6,82,16,760|
Some of the projects the local area funds were use were as follows:
- Construction of Bus stop shed in Thiruppandhiyur
- Construction of Anganwadi Building at Kunnavalam SC Colony
- Providing high mast lamp at various locations in the constituency
- Construction of compound wall at burial ground in Perambakkam village
- Construction of cremation shed at Sridevi Kuppam burial ground