K N Ramachandran, a veteran of state politics was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Sriperumbudur constituency in 2014.
Sriperumbudur constituency consists of six assembly constituencies — Maduravoyal, Sriperumbudur, Alandur, Pallavaram, Ambattur, Tambaram. In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, K N Ramachandran (AIADMK) defeated Jagathrakshagan (DMK) by 1,02,646 votes.
The constituency, with 19,46,503 voters had 66.10% voter turnout in 2014 elections, of which K N Ramachandran attained 42.42% votes. However, he is not in the fray for re-election to the 17th Lok Sabha.
Name: K N Ramachandran
Age: 63 years
Address: 4/163,G.S.T.Road,Vandalur Otteri,Chennai-600 048
Name enrolled as voter in: Kancheepuram (Tamil Nadu) constituency , at Serial no 532 in Part no 21
Term: 2014 – 2019
Contact Number: 9444084901
Educational qualifications: M.A. (Public Administration) from Madras University
No. of Criminal Cases: None
Assets & Liabilities (INR)
- Member, Committee on Estimates
- Member, Standing Committee on Human Resource Development
- Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Power and Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
Source: Lok Sabha
K N Ramachandran has had a below average performance in terms of attendance and debates in Parliament. He attained 100 percent attendance twice during his five-year-tenure. His overall attendance during the tenure stands at 72 percent, which is above the national average of 80 percent.
|MP||Attendance||No of Debates||No of questions asked||Private Member’s Bill|
|K N Ramachandran||72%||26||461||0|
|State (TN) average||78%||46.6||453||0|
Source: PRS Legislative Research
K N Ramachandran has participated in fewer debates than average. He has raised issues relevant to the state and his constituency. A few debates that he has taken part in are as follows:
- Enquiry into accident at St Thomas Mount station and compensation for deceased and injured
- Regarding reopening of closed Nokia Plant in Sriperumbudur in Tamil Nadu
- Need to expedite various railway works in Sriperumbudur parliamentary constituency of Tamil Nadu
- Need to provide stoppage of lane-distance trains at Tirusulam Railway Station in Tamil Nadu
- Demand to exempt the State of Tamil Nadu from NEET
A full list of debates he has taken part in can be found here.
K N Ramachandran did not introduce any private member bill during his tenure as an MP.
MP in news
K N Ramachandran has entertained the request of various resident interest groups over his tenure as MP. The citizens have been able to meet him and request his representation for various causes. The citizens have raised civic issues including traffic congestion and need for improved civic amenities.
K N Ramachandran was among the MPs suspended from Parliament for raising the issue of construction of the Mekedetu dam across Cauvery river by Karnataka.
Out of 25 crores allocated to Sriperumbudur constituency, K N Ramachandran has completed 74 works which cost Rs 8,43,82, 469. The focus of his MPLAD fund spending has been in the fields of water conservation, flood mitigation, roads, sanitation and waste management. He has recommended 4 works worth Rs 41 that is yet to be processed by various government departments.
|Recommended amount||Rs 41,98,000|
|Sanctioned amount||Rs 6,28,02,000|
|Utilised amount||Rs 8,43,82, 469|
Some of the work undertaken using the local area funds include:
- Rehabiliation of Pappan Channel Tambaram Municipalit
- Construction of OHT at1 lakh capacity tank in M.G.R. nagar
- Toilet and Bathroom Facility Manimegalai Street at Peerkankaranai
- Construction of Toilet and Bathroom facility at Govt Higher sec school Iyyppanthangal
- Public street light with 40 watts LED power saver with fittings other places in Mangadu Town
[Laasya Shekhar, Senior Reporter at Citizen Matters Chennai, also contributed to the report.]