Nestled between Tambaram and Airport, Pallavaram is a suburb that derives its name from the Pallava settlement. This constituency has several water bodies and Tirusulam hill, tanneries and cosmetics industries. The Grand Southern Trunk (GST) Road that connects Chennai with other districts passes through the constituency.
The locality is known for the Friday shandy which is the only weekly market in the metropolitan city, epitomising the rural Indian ‘bazaar’ culture where one can buy anything under the sun.
Some of the areas that fall under Pallavaram constituency are Chrompet, Pammal, Pozhichalur, Anakaputhur, Tirusulam and Pallavaram.
Votes cast in 2016
- Total number of voters: 250277 (excluding postal votes)
- Male Voters: 127815
- Female voters: 122462
- Third gender: 0
- Polling percentage: 61.76%
Election results 2016
Karunanithi E (DMK) won by a margin of 22,165 votes
Percentage of votes polled
(As per ECI website)
|Saraswathi C R||AIADMK||90,726||36.12|
- Karunanithi I
- Party: DMK
- S/o|D/o|W/o: S Iggnasi
- Age: 57
- Address: No.11/5, Thirupur Kumaran Street, Radha Nagar, Chrompet, Chennai 600 044
- Name Enrolled as Voter: Pallavaram (Tamil Nadu) constituency, at Serial no 752 in Part no. 185
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact Number: 94440 02029
- Self Profession: Social service
- Number of Criminal Cases: 3
- Once in three months, special camps will be conducted for hearing and solving grievances. However, voters we reached out to denied having had any such camps.
- Construction of roads in Pozhichalur in Ward 38
- Replacing the railway level crossing near Radha Nagar with a subway (pending)
In the news
In 2019, Subhashree, a 23-year-old techie from Pallavaram, was crushed to death in Pallavaram by a water tanker after a roadside banner fell on her while she was riding. Pallavaram MLA I Karunanithi had lashed out at the ruling party and condemned AIADMK over the incident.
Candidate list 2021
|S. No||Name||Party||Age||Education/Occupation||Criminal Cases|
|1||I Karunanithi||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam||62||Real estate/Class 10||3 pending cases, 0 convicted|
|2||Rajendran C||All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam||60||Agriculture, politician/BA, BL||Nil|
|3||Senthil Kumar||Makkal Needhi Maiam||43||Activist/MCA||1 pending case, 0 convicted|
|4||Perumal R||Independent||43||Driver/Class 10||Nil|
|5||Balaji S||Independent||41||Driver/Class 10||Nil|
|6||Kanagaraj A||Independent||36||Tailor/Class 7||Nil|
|7||Bhaskaran P||Independent||68||Social work/Class 9||Nil|
|9||Sathyaseelan M||Lok Jan Sakthi Party||68||Retired/Class 10||Nil|
|10||Ajithkumar R||Puthiya Tamilagam||29||Labourer/Class 8||Nil|
|11||Gokulkrishnan S||Tamil Nadu Ilaignar Katchi||27||Business/Diploma in computer science||Nil|
|12||Sadam Hussain||Independent||26||Salaried/Class 10||Nil|
|14||Karthick A||Independent||38||Driver/Class 5||Nil|
|15||Murugesan D||Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam||59||Politician/Class 10||1 pending; 0 convicted|
|16||Sasikumar Lakshmipathy||National Democratic Party of South India||42||Advocate/BA, BL||Nil|
|17||Sridharan A||Dravida Murpokku Makkal Katchi||64||Doctor/MBBS, PhD||Nil|
|18||Kumar V||Anna MGR Dravida Makkal Kazhagam||45||Business/NA||Nil|
|19||Veeralakshmi K||My India Party||32||Politician/MA||Nil|
|20||Minishree Kanagaraj||Nam Tamilar Katchi||36||House wife/B.Sc||Nil|
|22||Serma Selvaraj||Desiya Makkal Sakthi Katchi||49||Advocate/MA, BL||Nil|
Broad issues of the constituency
- The construction of a subway to replace the level crossing near Chrompet railway station in Radha Nagar is a project that was taken up more than a decade ago and still remains incomplete. The sitting MLA had in fact promised to get it done during his 2016 election campaign. “It is a multi-departmental project and it has been eight years since the Southern Railways completed the part of the work allocated to them. However, due to political reasons, the subway has still not been completed,” says David Manohar, an activist from Chrompet.
- Residents of this constituency have long demanded a merger with the Greater Chennai Corporation (GCC). “Several parts of Pallavaram were planned and organised even before the core areas of the city were developed. Residents from parts of Pallavaram constituency pay their taxes to Chennai Corporation. It would be easier to carry out the day-to-day administration here, if the municipality is merged with the larger civic body,” says V Santhanam, a social activist from Pallavaram.
- Encroachments along water bodies is yet another major problem that people of this constituency face. Nemilichery Lake, Pallavaram Periya Eri and Putheri are some of the lakes situated in Pallavaram constituency. “If all the lakes are restored, dependence on water tankers can be eliminated. The lakes are currently contaminated with sewage,” adds David.
- Residents feel strongly about the need for construction of an overhead walkway at Tirusulam Railway Station. Residents of Tirusulam have been fighting for it for the past 10 years. In the absence of such a facility, people have to cross the tracks to reach the other side of the neighbourhood.
- In almost all the local bodies that fall under Pallavaram constituency, residents complain of poor waste management. “Solid waste management rules are flouted regularly, garbage is burned day in and day out at Cowl Bazaar in Pozhichalur panchayat,” says K Varun Babu, a resident of Pozhichalur.