Saidapet constituency has many areas that promise low cost of living, despite being located at the centre of the city. It is a small constituency consisting of lesser known localities, but bordered by prominent neighbourhoods on all sides. It is connected to all corners of Chennai by multiple modes of transport. The nearest railway station is Saidapet, and falls on Tambaram – Beach line. Noteworthy landmarks of the city such as the Central railway station, CMBT, Marina beach are all within a radius of 10 kms. Shopping hub T Nagar, industrial hub Guindy and one of the state’s premier educational institutions, Anna university are less than 5 km from the Saidapet localities.
Middle and low income communities — mostly employees and daily wagers working in neighbouring Guindy and T Nagar localities — comprise the bulk of the population here.
Saidapet constituency consists of West Mambalam, Kotturpuram, Nandanam, Ekkaduthangal, Maduvankarai and Saidapet localities.
Votes cast (2016)
- Total number of voters : 167346 (excluding postal votes)
- Male voters : 85654
- Female voters : 81668
- Third gender : 24
- Polling percentage : 59.64
Read More: How to turn a littered pathway into a playground: Kotturpuram children create an example
- Name: Subramaniyan M A (DMK). An advocate of the Madras High court, Subramaniyan joined DMK in 1976 and was elected as MLA from Saidapet constituency in 2016. He worked as chairman of Chennai Corporation from 1996-2006 and was Mayor of Chennai from 2006-2011. Subramanyam is also deputy general secretary of DMK’S youth wing.
- Party: DMK (Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam)
- Age: 61
- Address: NO 7-1/4, MAYOR COLONY,GUINDY,CHENNAI 600032
- Name enrolled as Voter in: SAIDAPET (Tamil Nadu) constituency at Serial no 947 in Part no 215
- Contact Number: 9176700000
- No of cases: 34
- Promises made: Not available
2016 election results
|Party||Candidate||Votes acquired||Percentage of votes cast|
(As per ECI website)
In the news
- On November 3, 2019 CB/CID officials booked Saidapet MLA and former mayor of Chennai, Subramaniyan and his wife Kanchana for allegedly forging documents and land grabbing. This was done after a complaint was filed by a resident Parthiban in Guindy PS, which eventually was transferred to CB/CID. The latter filed a chargesheet on this couple and accused Subramaniyan of creating fake documents to transfer a housing plot in Guindy labour colony to his wife’s name.
- On June 19, 2020, after the COVID lockdown, the MLA said that he had entered the Asia book of records during the lockdown by running a marathon on his terrace. This former mayor of Chennai claimed that he ran 1,010 times on a ‘8’ shaped runway track designed on his terrace,for four hours and eight minutes and said that he used to practise daily earlier.
Know your candidates
|S.no||Name||Party||Age||Education/ Occupation||No. of cases|
|1||SAIDAI DURAISAMY||AIADMK||69||SSLC/ Real estate|
(Mayor of Chennai between 2011 and 2016)
|3 (not convicted)|
|2||SUBRAMANIAN MA||DMK||61||BA LLB/ Advocate||34 (not convicted)|
|3||SAGAYA MARY N||Republican Party of India (Athawale)||41||Class ten/ Housewife||None|
|4||MURTHI R||Independent||38||BA BL/ Lawyer||None|
|5||PREM KUMAR A||Independent||27||Diploma/ Labourer||None|
|6||KANDASAMY R||Independent||52||Class eight/ Electrician||None|
|7||SURESH KUMAR B||Naam Tamilar Katchi||37||Class twelve/ Supervisor||None|
|8||SATHISH KUMAR S||Independent Indian Congress||29||MBA/ Businessman||None|
|9||PRAKASH C||Independent||35||BA LLB/ Lawyer||None|
|10||ELANGO K||Independent||58||Class eight/ Lorry service||None|
|11||ALAGANATHAN B||Independent||41||Diploma in EEE/ Loan agent||None|
|12||KOTHANDAPANI K||Independent||45||Class eight/ building contractor||None|
|13||VASANTH H||Independent||39||Class nine/ Juice shop||None|
|14||MANIMARAN S||Independent||50||Class nine/ Labourer||None|
|15||SENTHAMIZHAN G||AMMK||57||MA ML/ Advocate||None|
|16||SIVAGNANA SAMBANDAN T||Desiya Makkal Sakthi Katchi||66||Phd/ Lawyer||None|
|17||SARAVANAN D||Independent||39||Class ten/ electrical service shop||None|
|18||LOGANATHAN J||Independent||57||Nil/ daily wage labourer||None|
|19||RAJESH N||Independent||36||Class ten/ Driver||None|
|20||RISHI KUMAR A||Independent||25||ITI/ Ac mechanic||None|
|21||VIJAY KUMAR R||Independent||43||BA BL/ Lawyer||None|
|22||ARUNKUMAR M||Independent||25||BCA/ Handicraft||None|
|23||BALAJI V||Independent||45||class ten/ real estate||None|
|24||JOTHI SAI RAM S||Independent||27||Class twelve/ auto mobil agent||None|
|25||SIVASANKAR SR||Independent||40||Class ten/ paint contractor||None|
|27||ASHOK KUMAR V||Independent||41||BBA/ civil contractor||None|
|28||SNEGA PRIYA||Makkal Neethi Maiam||29||Bsc/ Homemaker||None|
|29||KOTTUR KUMAR||Bahujan Samaj Party||40||BA/ Business||None|
|30||VENKATESH K||Independent||28||Class ten/ Driver||None|
|31||IMRAN KHAN M||Independent||36||Class nine/ real estate||None|
- Chennai anyway has an inadequate number of old age and mental homes. Saidapet constituency, with a significant middle class population, voices a demand for such facilities. “There are barely a few such government facilities, leaving no choice for citizens except costlier private old age homes” says Dharani Kumar, a resident of Kodambakkam.
- The presence of Guindy estate in the neighbourhood has created a domestic and industrial waste management issue in the constituency. The nodal agency for waste management is SIDCO. But the department does not have adequate staff to carry out door to door collection. “Every corner in the street is filled with heaps of free-flowing garbage,” said Krithika N. Residents demand that SIDCO should transfer powers to Chennai Corporation for better maintenance.
- Encroachment of roads is a major issue in the congested industrial areas of Maduvankarai. “Pedestrians are highly inconvenienced by the placement of garbage bins in every street; they also create parking issues for autos and bike riders,” says senior photojournalist and resident, Anand B.
- Residents complain about water stagnation and garbage issues in the interiors of Saidapet locality. “Unclean and potholed roads are a pain. During the rains, it is really difficult to reach the interiors of the area. There are also concerns over hygiene, with waste bins placed along the narrow roads,” says Naresh R, a resident.