Alandur constituency has several localities that promise low cost of living. As a result, there is a significant population of lower middle class and economically weaker families in these areas. The other dominant population here is that of software engineers working in the hubs of OMR and ECR. Localities such as Nanganallur are close to these hubs.
Many temples dot the Alandur constituency much like Mylapore. Alandur is a peripheral constituency. Just 4 km from the airport, it also borders another junction of the city and an industrial hub Guindy. St Thomas Mount is the closest railway station. Velachery, another prime locality of Chennai, a gateway to eastern Chennai and a technical hub, is again just 4 km away.
Though Alandur constituency was merged into Greater Chennai Corporation in 2011, these localities are still fighting for basic amenities such as proper sewage network and good roads. Iyyappanthangal, Alandur, Mugalivakam, Kolapakkam, Cowl bazaar, St. Thomas mount, Adambakkam, Palavanthangal and Nanganallur are the main areas falling within the constituency.
- Total number of voters: 167346 (excluding postal votes)
- Male Voters: 85654
- Female voters: 81668
- Third gender: 24
- Polling percentage: 63.57%
- Name: Anbarasan T.M (DMK). T.M Anbarasan is a member of the DMK party. He won twice from the same seat on a DMK ticket in 2006 and 2016. During his first tenure, Anbarasan served as the Minister of Labour in Karunanidhi’s cabinet.
- Party: DMK
- Age: 56
- Name Enrolled as Voter in: Sriperumbudur (Tamil Nadu) constituency , at Serial no 576 in Part no 191
- Contact Number: 9444010354
- No of criminal cases: 3
Construction of public libraries, restoration of Adambakkam lake, completing the construction of two MRTS stations and renovating roads across the constituency were his prominent promises in the last elections, said Mani K Ram, a long time resident.
In the news
- On September 29, 2011, the Directorate of vigilance and anti-corruption raided the Kundrathur residence of former DMK Minister and current MLA, T M Anbarasan in connection with a disproportionate assets complaint. Few other former DMK ministers Veerapandi S Arumugam, KN Nehru and NKKP Raja were also arrested on land grabbing charges by the DVAC under continued suppression.
- Alandur MLA T M Anbarasan was in the news when he listed out the developmental projects he had spearheaded for Alandur constituency. Summing up his performance as a legislator, he listed construction of the new sewage pumping station, expansion of the metro water project and replacement of sodium vapour lamps with LEDs as a few of his achievements.
2016 election results
|Percentage of votes polled
Know your candidates
|T M Anbarasan
|Class eleven/ agriculture
|3 pending cases (zero convictions)
|SSLC/ Social worker
|Dr R Suresh
|Bhartiya Manavadhikaar Federal party
|Tamil Nadu Illangyar party
|MBA/ salaried employee
|Makkal Needhi Maiam
|Ashok Kumar M
|12th standard/ Salaried employee
|10th standard/ Labourer
|Dr R Karthikeyan
|Naam Tamilar Katchi
|M Mohammed Thameem Ansari
|Social Democratic Party of India
|10th standard/ Businessman
|Republican Party of India (Athawale)
|Diploma / Driver
|VVA/ Insurance agent
|Annaithu Makkal Arasiyal Katchi
|10th standard/ Vegetable vendor
|S V Saravanan
|9th standard/ labourer
|class six/ social worker
|class ten / labourer
|Class ten/ real estate business
|Class eight/ Auto driver
|BA/ real estate business
|MA BL/ Advocate
|Class ten/ labourer
|National Democratic party of South India
|Desiya Makkal Sakthi Katchi
|MA Mphil/ Yoga instructor
- Connected with vehicular subways at Palavanthangal and Meenambakkam that are inundated even after a short spell of rain, the constituency is in dire need of solutions. “These subways were constructed decades ago. To ride on GST Road from Nanganallur or Meenambakkam during rains is a pain, as these subways have waist-deep water then. And as the excess water flows on to the road, residents living close by suffer,” said M Bharat Kumar, a senior journalist and a Nanganallur resident.
- The plan to restore Adambakkam lake is decades old but the project has run into many roadblocks, known and unknown, especially in getting funds from the state government and involving various stakeholder government departments. “The lake has been prone to severe encroachments and its area has shrunk from 80 to 8 acres over the decades. Whatever remains is also completely neglected as the water is contaminated with domestic and industrial waste discharge,” Sreeram M, a resident said.
- Nanganallur, a locality in the constituency, has many prominent temples such as the Nanganallur Anjaneya temple. However, the lack of adequate public transport services has hampered connectivity. “There are very few bus routes that are operational, apart from which, other alternatives like shared autos or buses at nominal fares need to be introduced. A lot of small bus services were cancelled a year ago,” Shankar R, a resident said.
- According to a report in The New Indian Express, Iyyappanthangal suffers the ill effects of rapid urbanisation, where many basic amenities are also lacking. With an increase in encroachment of roads and water bodies, regular households face the consequences of water stagnation on encroached areas and traffic congestion. Dengue is common, and some residents even complained of contamination of groundwater.