Sriperumbudur assembly constituency is famous for its factories and for being the site of the assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. The constituency is highly industrialized, with many manufacturing units. Yet, large parts of the constituency struggle to get drinking water and basic amenities. Connectivity too has been a weak link, with citizens complaining of lack of frequent bus services. While the presence of the factories has brought some positive developments, the residential areas hope to see improvement in amenities and new infrastructure projects.
Sriperumbudur sees a faceoff between incumbent ADMK MLA K Palani and Selvapurnthagai K of Congress this assembly election.
Votes cast (2016)
- Total number of voters: 235012
- Male Voters: 118898
- Female voters: 116114
- Third gender: 0
- Polling percentage: 77.10%
2016 election results
|Party||Candidate||Votes acquired||Percentage of votes polled|
(As per ECI website)
|INC||Selva Perunthagai K||90,285||38.23|
MLA Profile 2016
- Name: K Palani
- Party: AIADMK
- Age: 54
- Criminal Cases: Nil
- Victory margin: 10,716 votes
In the news
- MLA Palani K was one of three MLAs who decided to remain in Chief Minister Edappadi Palanisamy’s camp when offered a post in the breakaway faction of the ADMK by Sasikala.
- The MLA has come under the scanner for refusing to check encroachment of the Porur lake, with locals alleging that inspection of encroachments in the area by the Public Works Department had been stopped at his behest.
- MLA K Palani was one of the electors from the state to test positive for COVID-19. He was involved in relief activities in his constituency.
Know your candidates now
|S. No||Name||Party||Age||Occupation/Education||Criminal Cases|
|1||Palani K||All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam||59||Farmer/ Class 5||Nil|
|2||Selvaperunthagai K||Indian National Congress||60||Business/ BA; BL||3 pending cases, 0 convictions|
|3||Thanigaivel M||Makkal Needhi Maiam||43||Doctor/ MD, Homoeopathy||Nil|
|4||Selvamani P||Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam||56||Tailor/Class 9||Nil|
|5||Pushparaj D||Naam Tamil Katchi||45||Farmer/M.Com||Nil|
|6||Lokesh E||Desiya Makkal Sakthi Katchi||28||Singer/B.Com||Nil|
|7||Vinoth E||Bahujan Samaj Party||34||Catering/ ITI||Nil|
|8||Saroja S||Independent||68||Daily wage worker/ Class 3||Nil|
|9||Leena V||Independent||39||Housewife/ Class 10||Nil|
|10||Sudhakar P||Independent||41||Business/ Class 12||Nil|
|11||Devarajan K||Independent||41||Lawyer/ LLB||Nil|
|12||Vedhagiri R||Independent||51||Farmer/ Class 5||Nil|
|13||Vasanthi E||Independent||38||Housewife/ Class 12||Nil|
|15||Vairamuthu D||Independent||43||Business/ Class 10||10 pending cases|
Source: ECI. To know more about the candidates, check their affidavits here.
- Water is a prime concern for many residents in the area. Even though the constituency is highly industrialized, many residents complain of lack of regular water supply. Water shortage even took center stage during the recent Lok Sabha elections with residents talking of their inability to carry out daily activities as a result.
- The second airport project has been in a limbo for some time, leaving residents unhappy. While latest reports suggest that the project will take off by 2021, these promises too could fail.
- Sewage connections have been another pain point for residents in Sriperumbudur. “Many areas do not have proper sewage connections and there are tankers who sully the water bodies by collecting sewage from apartments and resorts and dumping them here,” complained R Vaithyanathan, a shopkeeper.
- Job losses from factories of big companies such as Pfizer has affected many local residents. “Previously we were able to get jobs in the area as locals. But there is no job security anymore as the companies here are themselves struggling to survive”, says Muthukumaram K, a contract worker.
- Desalination plants, ECR expansion, airport upgrade, GCC split: What are the different parties promising Chennai?
- Do voters really think of that mixie when they vote?
- Will use my experience to create jobs and upskill youth: Sarathbabu Elumalai, MNM, Alandur MLA candidate